Sari Shopping

In a few weeks the local Overseas Women's Club hosts India night - in the hotel 300m from our house - so no excuse not to go and a great excuse to buy a Sari. As the top (Choli) needs to be made, and as it might take a bit to get it right (not too short or too tight) and because I am alone with the kids the next 2 weeks which will drastically reduce my opportunity to shop - this was the day to go. There is a very fancy silk emporium all the way downtown but as I did not quite have that kind of time we went closer by to a junction which has 2 big sari shops side by side. As we got there 5 min after they opened (11am) not many people around and we had all the attention.
The material that is supposed to become the top (chili) is actually attached to the Sari and they are all starched up so it is even harder to try it on. Fortunately they have someone helping with all that who can have it draped in 30 Seconds - over all the bulky trousers and clothes.
The above was a very fancy silk one - gorgeous but very expensive and maybe not quite festive enough so I also tried one on with more different colors.
My friend Yvonne, who has been here a little longer, has gotten a little wiser after wearing a sari a few times and she went for the much easier to wear Ghagra. A more northern style dress with more beading & sparkles. It is a long skirt with the same top as the sari but with a separate scarf.
I thought I would end up with silk but settles on one in a much softer more wearable material (Silk cotton mix) with nice embroidery, a little gold bling and party colors.
We also tried the second shop next door, but what you maybe cannot really see from the picture is that it was really a lot 'cheaper'. The bling and embellishment went a bit overboard - and more was not really better - just more.
Having made our choices we went straight to the taylor - a tiny shop on the 2nd floor in some building - where we got measured up, left our fancy purchases and in about 10 days we should be able to pick up our attire.
Lovely 3 hours. Think I may need a new sari for every new party such that I can go again. Now just make sure I get some good help on the day itself to put it on and nor haev any wardrobe malfunction on the evening itself!

No comments: