December is the month of the cookie exchanges. We only learned this year for the first time really what that entails as we made it through 3 such events already. The idea is that everyone bakes a tray of cookies (buying cookies is not really 'allowed'). Then you take those to a party where other food is served - the cookies are not to be eaten there and then (which Eelco did not realize -;) but are nevertheless set out on a table - for display purposes.
At the end of the party everyone empties their bowl or plate or tin in which they brought cookies, and at the end of the event stuffs that plate or tin with some cookies from everyone.....
As we don't really understand much about 'snickerdoodle's' and 'red velvet cookies' etc so we stuck to what we did know - so far we have made Speculaas, Gevulde Speculaas and Kruidnoten ourselves. and the second time around I was even organized enough to make bags for all with some pepernoten as well as Taai-Taai (not home made).
The kids have so many holiday parties that I decided also to get them a proper outfit (so they would fit in) from a decent second hand kids clothing store. But as everything was bright red - which looks horrible on either one - too fancy to play in, too 'truttig' or way too hot for Houston I did not have quite as much choice as I hoped. In the end I stuck to the cookie scheme and got them ginger man outfits.
You can tell I did not take Kaat to the store when I went shopping and I think she can also do 2012 xmas in this balloon dress. From a dinner perspective it is amazing though as it is the best bib we have for her! Covers everything but her feet.

No comments:
Post a Comment